ROHIT GOYAL

I slept on 16th march around 1:30 AM (as usual), with hope of a normal morning on 17th March. But actually it was quite an unexpected early morning for me as my dad woke me up around 8:00 AM in the morning. I enquired the reason and he asked me whether I want to go to school as EXTERNAL EXAMINER in 12th Board Practicals. Well I was shocked a bit but of course I didn’t want to lose this opportunity so I said, “yes, I will.” I got ready around 9:00 AM and went to the school with lot of excitement. I was greeted there very nicely by the lecturers of the school. All students were looking at me with surprised faces (I just remembered the days when I was in school and somebody from outside visit our class….). Then after that they introduced me to the students and told them that I will be the teacher in charge for today (their final board practical). I felt quite honored that time but students were equally confused. After a little formality of marking the performed experiments by the students, I started calling students for their viva in a group of 3. Well I do have a lot of experience of these so called VIVAs (after giving so many in college), but by luck this time I was on the other side :P ;)

Students wished me “Good Morning Sir” and I told them, “no need to call me sir……I am still a student just like you all”. I asked for their practical files (just to complete the formalities for the records ;) haven’t opened even a single one…..) then I started asking questions (of course the easy ones), but nobody was willing to answer and I got a smile on my face (found the situation quite the familiar one…..)

Then I tried the other way by asking them their favorite topics and gave them the questions they want me to ask…..but still didn’t get any answers……Then I came up with a new idea, (as no one was giving answers) I started marking according the toughness of their favorite topic….. Well, all were kind of same but some were really characters I met there. 

There was a student named SURENDER (too frank to be giving 12th board practical). I asked him, “where is your file”?. He replied,” I don’t believe in copying the text from one place to other so I didn’t make it”. I was quite impressed by that answer. Then I asked him, “Any particular topic you want me to ask questions on”? he answered, “volleyball….” (Well he used his presence of mind…..and i considered him smart….) But I must say he was lucky that it was me, not a professional 1. 

Then there was a girl named MONISHA, She presented me her file even before I asked for and started telling me that I had performed all experiments, attended all labs and I scored so many marks in theory and……and……and…… Then I interrupted her and asked, “Did I ask you any of the things you just told me?” she replied in negative and started smiling. Then I asked her, “how many experiments have you performed in this lab ?” and guess what her answer or rather query was,” in physics or in total ?” now it was my turn to smile but with a different frame of mind ;) then after seeing me smiling, she replied, (I thought she understood my question…) “8 in 11th sir and…...” And I had nothing more to ask her as I had all my answers and I asked her to leave…..

I took practical of around 60 students in total and of course gave them best of marks I could…….

It was really a brilliant experience for me and also a lesson too. Now I might be able to understand the mentality of the teacher while giving any viva in future….. 

It was really a great day when I just relived some moments of my school life……..
Labels: edit post
0 Responses

Post a Comment